At Chargify, we are all about helping our customers grow their business, which is why we are happy to announce our new referrals feature. You can now give customers a unique referral code that can:
- Incentivize: Provide a discount to anyone signing up through the referral code such as 10% off for 6 months.
- Reward: Provide an account credit for the referrer such as a $25 credit for any new signups.
- Track: View all historical referral traffic by the referrer, the recipient (new customer), referral code, and sign up date.
The new features can be used in the following ways:
- Public Signup Pages: If you use Chargify’s public signup pages, you can provide customers with a unique signup page referral URL. Just grab their referral code and add ?ref=[referral code] to the end of any public signup page URL. Update 9/23/2015: Referral codes can now be manually entered on public sign up pages. Learn more at: www.chargify.com/blog/grow-your-business-through-referrals
- Emails: You can embed the Public Signup Page URL/referral code in emails we send to your customers, such as signup emails. Please see the “More Detail” section at the end of this blog post.
- API: If your product/service uses our API to signup new customers, the subscription#create API endpoint now takes handles the ref parameter so the same logic can be applied.
For step-by-step instructions on how to configure, enable, and use referral codes, check out our documentation.
How does this differ from full affiliate systems?
This new feature allows you to reward existing customers with a one-time discount or credit, plus you can reward the new customers by giving them a one-time or continuing discount.
Companies like Uber and Airbnb have been wildly successful with these techniques, increasing new business by as much as 25%:
- Uber: “Friends new to Uber get a free ride up to $30 for signing up with your code. Once they take their first ride, you’ll get a free ride up to $30.”
- Airbrb: “Give your friends $25 off their first trip on Airbnb and you’ll get up to $100 travel credit.”
However, this is not a complete referral/affiliate solution that allows anyone to sign up as an affiliate, drive traffic to your site, and receive monetary payouts in cash. There are great systems that do that and more.
Let us know what you think!
Since this is the first iteration of this feature, we consider it to be in public beta. We look forward to seeing our customers test out the new feature and provide feedback so we can continue to improve.
Note: The referrals feature is available to merchants with certain plans within Chargify. Please check the availability for this feature here for current information.
More detail on how to share referral codes:
1. Placing the referral code in Chargify-generated emails to each of your customers:
Chargify sends a number of emails to your customers, and there are many variables that you can include in these emails, to make each email personal or targeted with info specific to each recipient.
One of those variables is the unique referral code that is assigned to each existing customer:
This variable needs to be added to the end of a Chargify Public Page (signup page) URL where your customers go to sign up for your Chargify product/service.
2. Here’s a sample complete URL with the existing customer’s unique referral code at the very end:
3. Using the referral code if you have multiple products and multiple product signup pages:
The emails we send out are “site-wide”, which means that the same email will be sent to all new customers that sign up to all products on your site.
If you have multiple products, but you want the above referral URL/code to be specific to one product, you can use simple IF/THEN logic in your Chargify email templates, to show Product A’s signup URL if the customer just signed up for Product A… or Product B if they signed up for Product B, etc.
Please see the following documentation page to see all of the email variables you can use in the emails we send for you. You’ll also see a small example of the IF/THEN logic you can use to make your emails say exactly what you want to each recipient: https://docs.chargify.com/email-templates
[Update] Related Posts:
- Growing your business through referrals just got simpler
- Delayed Referral Credits To Accommodate Free Plans & Trials